Delicious, creamy and oh so decadent this is a very versatile yet simple dish. You can make it for breakfast or brunch or as a nice little lunch or even a light supper with a nice rustic whole wheat bread.
My recipe calls for using individual ramekins or serving bowls and that’s how I normally prepare it when I have guests over. But many times when I make this dish at home I just keep it all in one nonstick sauté pan and serve it directly from the pan to plate. If you’re just going to use the homestyle method then on step 4 just add the cream to pan and stir to incorporate and place the butter dollops in the 4 corners of the pan and crack the eggs into the 4 corners.
- 2 bunches Spinach, fresh, organic
- 4 Large Eggs, free-range, organic
- ⅓ cup Cream or Half & Half (to save a few calories), organic, grass fed/pastured
- 2 tbs. Unsalted Butter, grass fed/pastured, organic
- Preheat oven to 350 and Heat a sauté pan over high heat adding 1 tbs. of butter.
- Roughly chop the spinach leaves, discarding most of the stem. Add to the sauté pan.
- Season with a little salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until spinach has wilted and reduced by at least 70%. Approx. 6-8 minutes.
- If using individual serving bowls then split the spinach among the bowls evenly.
- Evenly split the cream amongst the serving bowls and briefly stir to incorporate. Place a dollop of the remaining butter into each bowl.
- Crack an egg into each bowl and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Place into preheated oven for 15 minutes or until egg has set but yolk still slightly creamy - when you cut into the egg the yolk should still be slightly liquid and when it mixes with the creamed spinach below it makes a heavenly sauce!
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with a slice of whole wheat bread.