Sinful, Rich, Delicious, Grilled Cheese sandwiches are a great lunchtime comfort food that take me back to being a kid, a simpler time when there was only 1 TV’s in the house, only 1 computer and before the time of iPhones, iPads, iPods and iPad Minis.
Being that we’re in Lent and I don’t eat meat on Friday’s I was in the kitchen thinking about what to make for lunch and like an epiphany it occurred to go with a grilled cheese. Of course this wasn’t going to be a Cheat Day recipe I decided to make a slightly healthier version that uses whole wheat sourdough bread, grass fed butter, and lower fat cheddar cheese that uses 2% milk.
- 2 slices Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Boars Head or Sargento are good brands. Should be about 1.5 oz.
- 1 tbs. Low Fat Parmesan & Romano Blend Cheese, shredded
- 2 slices Whole Wheat Sourdough, a good whole grain artisan bread would work great too.
- 2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbs. Grass Fed Butter, unsalted
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Toast the bread in the toaster ahead of time.
- Spread the butter on what will be the "outside" sides of the sandwich bread
- Spread the dijon mustard on what will be the "inside" sides of the sandwich bread.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan and Romano cheese over the Dijon side of one bread slice.
- Add to the same piece of bread the 2 slices sharp cheddar then cover with remaining bread. Buttered sides should be facing out and Dijon sides should be on the inside.
- Add sandwich to sauté pan and cook until crisp and deep golden brown, approx. 1-2 mins.
- Flip to other side and repeat.
- Serve & enjoy!