Top 10 Health Benefits Of Drinking Wine
The big question is of course – Is their any truth at all to the reported health benefits?
I am happy to report that the science is in and wine does indeed provide numerous health benefits – besides of course being an excellent accompaniment to food and bringing out all the delicious flavors.
- Lowers The Risk Of Heart Disease
- The tannins in red wine contain a nutrient called procyanidins which helps the body protect itself from heart disease according to a study published in Nature,2006, by the Queen Mary University in London
- Red wine also increases the amount of inflammation fighting Omega 3 Fatty Acids in the body according to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
- Protection From A Heart Attack
- You are 30% less likely to have a heart attack if you are a regular moderate wine drinker according to Harvard University that conducted a 16 year study on 11,711 men.
- Stroke Defense
- Your chance of suffering a blood clot related stroke is cut in half when you drink a glass of wine a day according to an 8 year study by Columbia University.
- Strengthen Your Bones
- You are 20% less likely to suffer from bone fractures in later life if you drink wine today. It is assumed the reason is that wine increases the level of estrogen and other bone protecting hormones in the body
- Reduce The Likelihood Of Ever Getting Type 2 Diabetes
- You are 30% less likely to ever have Diabetes if you enjoy wine according to a 12 year study by VU University Medical Center in Amsterdam
- Alcohol Can Help Prevent Cataracts
- If you are a moderate drinker you are 32% less likely to have a cataract and if you’re drinking wine you have an additional 43% less likelihood of having cataracts vs only beer drinkers according to a 2003 Nature study from Iceland
- Liver Defense
- Daily wine drinkers cut their likelihood of having Liver Disease by 50% according to a study by UC San Diego BUT this only applies to wine drinkers. The study found those who drank beer and other non-wine alcohol actually had a 400% increase in likelihood of having Liver Disease
- Reduce The Risk Of Colon Cancer
- Red wine consumption cuts the chances of having colon cancer by 45% according to a 4 year study by Stony Brook University
- Protect Your Brain
- Columbia University found that the rate of cognitive decline and incidents of dementia and Alzheimer’s was significantly lower in wine drinkers in study published in 2006 edition of Neuroepidemiology
- Live Longer
- Regular wine drinkers have a 34% lower mortality rate than any other alcohol drinkers according to a 29 year Finnish study found in the 2007 Journals of Gerontology