This is a wonderful sweet and tangy side dish. You can use any type of small onion such as pearl if you can’t find Cipollini. Or you could even use sweet vidalia onions, just be sure to slice them into long thin strips.
- 2 cups Cipollini onions, sliced in half
- 2 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbs. Honey, organic, local
- 2 tbs. Red Wine or Sherry Vinegar
- ¼ tsp. Ground Cinnamon or 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp. Thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400 and heat a large oven proof sauté pan over medium-high heat with the olive oil.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring constantly, until they are caramelized and golden brown and soft.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the honey to the pan, stirring to incorporate, cook for 3-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in the thyme, bay leaf and cinnamon.
- Place into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in the vinegar, serve and enjoy!