Bread crumbs are an integral part to many dishes, giving a delicious crunchy topping or providing the volume and depth to stuffings. The problem is that when you buy bread crumbs at the store they are stale and taste so blah! A couple years ago I discovered this recipe and I’ve never ever bought store bread crumbs again. Homemade bread crumbs are so ridiculously easy to make and taste so much better than anything you can buy at the store.
This recipe makes about 1.5 cups worth of bread crumbs; adjust the recipe as needed to give you the amount you need.
- 2 pieces Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread, I prefer sourdough for the extra depth of flavor it brings but any type of bread would work, typically use the end pieces from the previous week's loaf.
- Toast the bread in the toaster.
- Rip the bread into chunks and place into food processor.
- Pulse 3-4 times for thick chunky bread crumbs, 6-8 times for standard finely ground breadcrumbs.
- Toast bread in toaster.
- Take garlic clove and grate it against the toast, the rough edges of the toasted bread will act just like a grater and you'll quickly notice your clove disappearing. Do this to all 3 pieces of toast.
- Using your hands rip the bread apart into pieces and add to food processor.
- Add parsley, oregano, thyme and olive oil to food processor.
- Pulse 8-10 times to fully incorporate everything together. Season with a little salt and pepper. Pulse once more.