Bacon Egg & Spinach Breakfast Burrito
Combine fresh spinach, a Superfood, eggs – another Superfood – a whole grain low carb tortilla and a little bacon and you have the recipe for a heavenly start to what will surely be an amazing day. After all if you start off the day so right, how could anything go wrong? This is a breakfast dish I find myself making over and over again during the Spring when spinach is at its peak.
This amazing breakfast burrito is delicious, healthy, low calorie, low carb and uses the principles of volumetrics to keep you full all the way to lunch!
- 1 Low Carb Whole Wheat Tortilla/Wrap, burrito sized if using tortilla
- 2 Large Eggs, cage free, organic
- ⅛ cup Milk, grass-fed, organic
- 2 strips Bacon, turkey or chicken
- 1 cup Fresh Spinach Leaves, tightly packed
- Heat a non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the bacon, cooking until crisp, turning once.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate and dab off any excess oil.
- Drain any excess oil from pan leaving a thin glaze, return to stove top and reheat pan.
- Add milk to pan and crack eggs into pan as well. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook the eggs while stirring constantly until eggs are set and liquid evaporated. Approx. 5-6 minutes. Set aside and keep warm
- Warm tortilla/wrap - you can use a microwave for 15 seconds or as I grew up doing it; heating it over an open flame on the stovetop burner for 20-30 seconds per side. WARNING ONLY DO IT THIS WAY IF YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH IT AND BE VERY CAREFUL!
- Place the tortilla/wrap on a warm plate, line one corner of it with the spinach, lay the bacon over the spinach, spoon the eggs over that. The filling should be bunched into ⅓ of the tortilla/wrap going from the edge inwards. Carefully roll the tortilla/wrap over making the burrito.