Arroz al Horno
This is a favorite dish in my family with the leftovers being reheated quickly and easily for the perfect weekday side dish. The buttery and rich flavors of the numerous different types of rice and faro – an ancient heirloom Mediterranean grain – are pure heaven on the tongue!
Rice dishes are an integral part of Spanish cuisine; can you imagine Spanish food without Paella? All throughout Spain, many regions and areas have their own limitless variety of different rice dishes.
MISE EN PLACE
Chop the garlic and set aside for 10 minutes to maximize the nutritional benefits. Dice the bacon and the onion and set aside in separate bowls. If making the chicken bouillon broth then take 1.5 tbs of organic chicken bouillon and mix with 3 cups hot water and stir to incorporate then set aside.
Tools You Will Need
- Large Deep Walled Oven Safe Dish with Lid
- Sauté Pan
- Large Serving Spoon
- 1 cup Organic Wild Rice Medley
- ¾ cup Basmati Rice
- ¼ cup Faro
- 1 Organic Onion, diced
- 4 oz. Uncured Bacon, chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves, diced
- 1 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tbs. Grass-fed Butter, cut into chunks
- 3 cups Organic Chicken Bouillon Stock, prepared or 3 cups Organic Chicken Broth
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place a saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil and bacon to pan and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add onion to pan and lower heat to medium, season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-7 minutes.
- Add garlic to pan and cook 3-4 minutes more then remove pan from heat and set aside.
- In large oven dish add onion bacon mixture, rice and faro, stock and then stir to incorporate.
- Cover dish and place into oven for 35 minutes.
- Check on rice dish and spread the butter chunks all over the top of the rice, return lid and cook in the oven for additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes then stir to fluff.
- Serve and enjoy!