Picadillo A La Vasco
A dish called “a la Vasco” or “in the Basque Style” would typically be served in a delicious sauce of peppers, onions, garlic and tomatoes with just the slightest hint of heat from a touch of paprika.
MISE EN PLACE
Chop up the bacon into tiny bits and set aside. Chop the onions and the bell pepper and set aside in separate piles, cut up the tomatoes into large chunks, dice the garlic, measure the wine, have the seasonings prepared.
Tools You Will Need
- Large Sauté Pan with Lid
- 1 lb Organic Grass-fed Ground Beef
- 2 slices Uncured All-Natural Bacon
- 4 Organic Bell Peppers
- 2 Organic Onions
- 4 Heirloom Tomatoes
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 2 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ⅔ cup Red Wine
- ¼ tsp. Spanish Paprika
- ¼ tsp. Oregano, dried
- ¼ tsp. Thyme, dried
- ¼ tsp. Rosemary, dried
- Heat the saute pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil and the bacon and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and using the tongs break up the meat and cook for 3-4 minutes; season with a little salt & pepper.
- Add the Onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, 1-2 minutes; season with a tiny bit of salt
- Add the tomatoes, season with salt, add the wine, herbs, paprika, and little more pepper; stir to incorporate everything then cook, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes.
- Semi-cover pan, lower temperature to low, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice or mashed potatoes and enjoy!