I’ve been asked many times about what I eat on my Sunday Suppers, Feast Days and even Fast Days; so I’ll be sharing some of my menus for these special days. You can check out my post on Feasting & Fasting in the Mediterranean for some more details on how all this works when it comes to special dietary days.
A key thing to remember about my Mediterranean Lifestyle is Portion Control which means small amounts of many different things. You can read here for a full breakdown of my Mediterranean Diet Philosophy.
So what is Sunday Supper?
Sunday Supper and Sunday Lunch are ancient Mediterranean traditions; Sunday has traditionally been the Feast Day, the day of celebration and the day of rest. Families throughout the Mediterranean in countries like Spain, France, Italy and Greece would follow a similar pattern of Mass then a large family feast that would take up the majority of the afternoon and evening. Family and friends would come together to celebrate and relax and leisurely enjoy each other’s company while savoring delicious and amazing meals. I work every week to keep this traditional meal alive and well in my household.
A key hallmark of my Sunday Supper cooking is using cooking leverage – yes, I do spend a lot of time cooking on Sunday but nearly everything I prepare becomes leftovers for lunches and dinners during the week. For example every week I prepare a different variation of Caldo De Frijoles (Bean Stew) and the beans become a super healthy, nutritious and high fiber side dish throughout the week, typically there’s some sort of grilled or roasted meat and those leftovers become dinner and lunch for the first part of the week, and the same thing goes many times for the vegetables I make such as whenever I made a gratin. In the end when you factor in how many meals I get out of this day of cooking it actually becomes a very smart way to cook for the week.
Sunday Supper Menu for the 23rd of February, 2014
- Caldo De Frijoles
- Medley of Grilled Sweet Peppers Drizzled with Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Basil
- Sautéed Organic Yellow Potatoes with Antibiotic, Hormone & Nitrate/Nitrite Free Pastured Bacon
- Mediterranean Seasoned Grilled Grass-fed Antibiotic & Hormone Free TriTip Roast
- Organic Spring Mix Salad with Dried Cranberries and Chopped Pecans; Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Red Wine Vinegar
- California Marin County Triple Creme Brie
- Ghirardelli Twilight Bliss Dark Chocolate
- Starbucks Breakfast Blend Coffee with Coffee-Mate Natural Bliss Vanilla Creamer
- 1 oz. Digestif
- Wine: Cellar No. 8 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon
- Digestif: Remy Martin VSOP Cognac