This is a super delicious and healthy dish that could be a side for a large formal meal like Easter/Thanksgiving/Christmas, etc… But I normally serve this as a quick & easy main dish during the week or when I’m in the mood for something lighter like during Lent. The dish itself could be considered a complete meal since it has everything you need: veggies, protein, fat, etc…
This is my take on a classic and rustic French Country dish; I typically serve it as the main dish with a slice or two of whole wheat bread and maybe a small salad or cup of soup. I know it looks like a lot steps below but it’s all about synergy and it really doesn’t take a long time nor is it very difficult. Get the eggs going then while they are resting covered prepare the spinach and then you’ll end up with the eggs and spinach done at the same time then throw it into the gratin dish and bake it so all the flavors meld and the top get golden and crunchy.
The recipe I have can serve 6 as a main dish or 12 as a small side of a larger meal.
What You’ll Need:
- Oven-proof Dish
- Sauté Pan
- Sauce Pot
- Tongs or large stirring spoon
- 1 lb. Organic Spinach
- 1 Onion, diced
- 5 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- ½ cup Organic Milk, low-fat
- 6 Organic Free-Range Eggs
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- ½ cup Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs
- 3 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- pinch of Ground Nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Place the eggs into large sauce pot
- Cover with cold water
- Place on stove and bring to a full rapid boil, allow it to boil for 1 full minute.
- Place lid over pot and remove from heat, set aside and keep covered for 15 minutes
- Remove eggs from pot, peel and set aside
- Chop garlic and set aside to rest for 10 minutes before using; chop onion and set aside
- Heat sauté pan over high heat and add 2 tbs. olive oil
- Add spinach to pan, will most likely have to do this in batches as spinach will reduce in volume nearly 80%. Stir occasionally and season with salt and pepper until all spinach is added and wilted
- Add onion to pan and stir occasionally for 3-4 minutes
- Add garlic to pan and cook additional 2 minutes
- Transfer the spinach to the gratin or oven-proof dish and add the milk, stirring to incorporate.
- Add the peeled and cooked eggs to the spinach, nestling the eggs into the bed of spinach
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs and Parmesan Cheese over the entire dish then drizzle the remaining olive oil over everything
- Place into the oven and cook for 25 minutes or until top is golden
- Serve and enjoy!