I’ve spent the last week feasting and enjoying some of the most delicious and amazing foods! Carnevale and its ultimate culmination with Mardi Gras is a time of great partying and celebration, one last hurrah before the season of fasting and abstinence of Lent. The Carnevale Feast Season started last Friday and continues through today. It’s one of the two Feast Seasons of the year, the other being the 12 Days of Christmas Feast. As in all things in the Mediterranean life is all about balance and living in tune with the rhythms of nature so these feasts are compensated for with Lent and Advent. Carnevale literally means the “leaving of the flesh” so it is the final celebration of the physical pleasures then comes Lent in preparation for Easter. Lent is the counterbalance to the excess of Carnevale, it the ebb to the rhythmic cycle of ebb and flow that characterize Mediterranean life. But I don’t see Lent as a time of lack but rather as a time to detox, renew and recharge for the year ahead. In a very real sense it’s Spring Cleaning for the soul and body.
I’ve shared with you my outstanding menu at Santé restaurant from my last day in wine country. This weekend I also went to a birthday party that had a tapas style menu with a wide variety of Spanish, Basque, and French Cheeses along with different salamis and breads – it was all divine! Tonight I’ll be heading off to an out of this world restaurant with my family for a perfect end to Mardi Gras 2014! What are you doing for Mardi Gras?
Below is my menu from the Carnevale Sunday Supper that was leisurely enjoyed with family and friends – which is the only way you should ever enjoy a Feast – this weekend.
Carnevale Sunday Supper Menu
- Pork Pâté from Campagne on Whole Grain Toast with Dijon Mustard
- Sopa De Doble Frijoles (2 Bean Soup)
- Grass-fed Antibiotic & Hormone Free Roasted New York Strip Loin Roast with Dijon Herb Crust
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Steamed Organic Cauliflower drizzled with Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Vinegar
- Local California Marin County Triple Creme Brie
- Ghirardelli Twilight Delight Dark Chocolate
- 2009 Alamos Malbec Red Wine
- La Brea Bakery Whole Grain Loaf
- Digestif: Remy Martin VSOP Cognac