Spinach isn’t the only “salad green” that can be cooked for a delicious and healthy side dish. Sauteed or braised greens are a standard side dish all over the Mediterranean; Spain, France, Italy, and Greece all have a huge culture of foraging and cooking greens.
I always buy the big “tubs” of Organic Spring Mix at my local grocery store every week to make salads for lunch and dinner. Many times I don’t use up the whole tub and then I’ll sauté the greens for a quick and easy side dish – you never let food go to waste in the Mediterranean!
Like when cooking spinach these lettuce greens will wilt down and reduce by nearly 80% or more in volume as you cook and that is why I recommend at least 2 packed cups per person for a small side dish.
Tools You Will Need
- Large Sauté Pan
- 8 cups Organic Spring Mix Lettuces
- 3 Garlic Cloves, sliced
- 1 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbs. Grass-fed Butter, organic, unsalted
- Heat the sauté pan over high heat and add the olive oil
- Start adding the lettuce greens into the pan – will most likely have to do this in stages as the greens wilt and reduce
- Season with salt and pepper
- Once greens have reduced by half (approximately 4 minutes) then add the garlic to the pan and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, and lower heat to medium.
- Cook until greens have reduced by nearly 75% (another 3-5 minutes) from original volume and then add butter to pan and stir to coat as it melts (1-2 minutes) and serve immediately