Creamy and buttery mashed potatoes are the perfect comfort food! Various variations of this delicious dish can be found all over France, Spain and Italy – making it a Mediterranean classic. My creamy garlic mashed potatoes are a Fall and Winter luxury and while they aren’t “low calorie” and should be eaten in the Mediterranean philosophy of small quantity but high quality I do have a few tips & tricks to make them way more healthy, nutritious and transform them into a low glycemic food without sacrificing one ounce of flavor!
The key to health and nutrition is all in the ingredients and a simple trick in the technique. Buying organic potatoes have way more nutrition and are missing all the toxic chemicals found in regular potatoes, also using waxier yellow or red potatoes will eliminate 50% of the Glycemic Index VS Russets. In addition boiling and cooking the potatoes the day before and refrigerating them overnight will eliminate another 25% of the Glycemic Index VS Russets. Leaving the skins on will not only give your mashed potatoes a wonderful country feel but when mixed with the butter will eliminate another 15%. All in all following these tricks will eliminate 90% of the Glycemic Index! Maximizing the nutritional benefits we will be using organic butter, cream and milk from grass-fed cows; which has less saturated fat, no chemicals or hormones and is full of more nutrients and Omega 3’s. The final touch is the garlic – we all know garlic is a superfood with nearly miraculous properties: antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, cancer fighter, cholesterol-lowering and heart disease prevention. One simple trick will ensure that you have maximum health benefit from the garlic and none of it will be lost no matter how you cook it. The secret is to finely chop the garlic and set it aside to rest in the air for 10 minutes. A chemical reaction occurs that releases the full power of the nutrients and sets them so they are not destroyed no matter you cook the garlic.
As you can see on a few simple tricks and you can turn these delicious mashed potatoes to a healthy luxury treat.
You Will Need
- Potato Masher
Healthy Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 6 Organic Waxy Potatoes
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 3 tbs. Organic Unsalted Butter, grass-fed cows
- 1 cup Organic Half & Half, plain, grass-fed cows (Alternatively 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup cream)
- DAY BEFORE Place the potatoes in a pot and fully cover with water, lightly season water with salt. Bring to a boil and then simmer until potatoes are cooked through, approximately 45 minutes or until tender but not falling apart. Cover and remove from heat, refrigerate overnight or at least 12 hours.
- DAY OF Return pot to stove and cook on medium-high to reheat potatoes, approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Finely mince garlic and set aside to rest for 10 minutes
- Drain potatoes and keep in warm pot, add garlic to pot and using masher fully mash the potatoes
- Season with a little salt, add the butter and half of the dairy; stir to incorporate
- Continue to slowly add remaining dairy and stir until desired consistency is reached – should be very smooth and velvety and lite
- Taste test and season with additional salt as needed
- Serve & enjoy!