With the Holiday Feasting fast approaching I’m going to repost this classic recipe for what is literally The Best Roast Turkey Recipe! This is what I’ll be making this Thanksgiving and maybe even for one day during the 12 Days of Christmas Feast.
The key to everything can be summed up in a few key points:
- Buy the freshest, highest quality turkey you can get
- The Herb Butter makes or breaks the dish, use Kerrygold or similar and don’t skimp make lots!
- Slow and Low is the name of the game… worthwhile things take time
- Basting keeps the bird juicy and helps to golden the skin – do it every 30 minutes or so
How To Make The Perfect Roast Turkey
The Holiday Season means Roasting and the most delicious and iconic image of holiday roasting is making the best roast turkey. My roast turkey recipe will create a turkey that is juicy and bursting with flavor. This recipe is my own personal creation and is 100% full proof! Once you have done the super easy prep work its practically a throw it in the oven and forget type of dish – thats what I love about roasting in general – and will give you time to relax and actually enjoy the company of your guests. The one thing I love almost as much as eating this amazing roasted turkey is the out of this world aroma that fills the house as this bird is slow roasting – the scent of the herbs and butter and garlic wafting through the house is almost enough to make you go insane but is sooo worth the wait when you get that first bite!
Mise En Place
Prep Work That Needs To Be Done
The Garlic & Herb Butter can be made up to 2 days ahead and kept (preferably covered) in the refrigerator. You can also prep the turkey by inserting the butter and seasoning under the skin and stuffing the cavity with the onions, garlic and herbs as well as seasoning the outside of the turkey all the day before cooking. It is very important to keep in mind in case you purchase a frozen turkey to follow the thawing instructions which normally takes a couple days so you will want to start all that ahead of time.
You Will Need
- Sauce Pot
- Large Roaster with Rack
- Turkey Baster (optional – sometimes I just use a large spoon to get the pan drippings and pour over the turkey)
- ½ cup Kerrygold Grass Fed Irish Butter
- 2 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves, finely minced
- ½ tsp. Spanish Paprika
- 1tsp. Sage
- 1 tsp. Thyme
- 1 tsp. Rosemary
- 1 20+ lb. Free Range Organic Turkey
- 2 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp. Spanish Paprika
- ¼ tsp. Sage
- ¼ tsp. Thyme
- ¼ tsp. Rosemary
- 1 sprig Rosemary, for stuffing
- ¼ tsp Sage, for stuffing
- 1 Onion, quartered, for stuffing
- 1 Lemon, quartered, for stuffing
- 5 Garlic Cloves, whole, for stuffing
- Heat Butter and 2 tbs. olive oil on low heat in sauce pot
- Add diced garlic
- Allow garlic to perfume oils on low for 2 minutes
- Add Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, Paprika Salt and Pepper to taste
- Turn off heat and allow to cool
- Put in refrigerator over night or freezer until it becomes solid - should be 30 minutes in freezer but may vary.
- Preheat the oven to 275 and take Turkey out of refrigerator 1 hour before cooking.
- Prepare the Turkey by using your fingers lift turkey skin away from breast
- Using spoon place herb butter under skin of breast & legs and thighs
- Season cavity with salt & pepper & stuff with onion, lemon, whole garlic, rosemary sprig & sage for stuffing.
- Rub 2 tbs. olive oil over surface of bird
- Season with salt, pepper, and remaining seasonings (Rosemary, Thyme, Paprika, Sage)
- Place in roasting pan and put in oven & cook approximately 25 minutes per pound at 275. Baste with pan juices every 30-40 minutes.