Far too many only think of mashed potatoes when thinking of a mashed side dish when in actuality in much French and northern Spanish & Italian cooking you will find countless recipes for mashed vegetables served as a side and I highly encourage to look up some of these other equally delicious options. I have a great recipe for Mashed Cauliflower that you’ve got to try as well!
The richness of the sweet potatoes mix very nicely with the caramelized sweet & savory profile of the shallots all moderated by the woodsy bouquet of the Rosemary.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Rosemary
- 3 large Organic Sweet Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 Organic Shallots, thinly sliced
- 1.5 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbs. Kerrygold Butter, or other Grass-fed/Organic style
- 2 tsp. Fresh Rosemary, finely chopped
- 1.5 tsp. Organic Brown Sugar
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and add the shallots and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar then cook until shallots are golden and caramelized, stirring occasionally (up to 20 minutes). Then set aside.
- In a medium pan, bring potatoes to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes until smooth. Add rosemary, salt and pepper, and butter; mix until blended. Serve topped with shallots.